.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, December 06, 2004

 

It wasn't so bad

Sometimes things don't go as bad as you expect them to. As commented on Nathan's blog, few people, if anyone really, likes the front end manager at my work. It took her awhile to get the groove of working in the grocery business, everyone has gotten frustrated with her at some point, and she has days where she is a in bad mood and is difficult to work with. So this means that I wasn't looking forward to talking to her about working during Christmas break from school.

The union (UFCW 653, BTW) that the store is in has a minimum 15 hour workweek. I was able to get a "peak-part time" position this fall which allowed me to work 0-20 hours a week and get paid a couple dollars more an hour since I wouldn't get insurance or retirement. However when Christmas break rolls around, instead of working up to 20 hours a week, I wanted close to full time hours. I dropped her a note a couple weeks ago saying I would be available everyday after school, once it is done. This past weekend I didn't have any hours on the schedule that covered the weekend right after school is done. I wasn't very happy with that. Plus they hadn't changed my pay rate, to which I was kinda annoyed by, but I also kinda didn't care since I've been happy to have a job.

So this past weekend I figured I needed to talk to her about getting hours during break. I expected the worst. It turns out she had talked to the administrative person and they are able to change things so that I can work a lot during break which is great. Then things slowly transitioned into my pay rate, which she said she'd look into me getting my back pay. Then she asked something about my hours on the newest schedule, and I replied that I had none. For some reason, the computer schedule had me listed as not being available that weekend. My manager then gave me three shifts that weekend, more then I had even expected. The whole trip in to talk to her went so much better than I had ever expected. I had planned on talking to her only about working during break, but everything that was frustrating me and was heavy on my mind was taken care of. When I left and went to church, I was in such a thankful mood to God, for he had done more than I was even expecting when I went to talk to her.

Comments:
That's neat Jake. I'm the same way-I expect the worst and then things not only don't go bad they actually go better than I thought was even possible. Haha.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?