.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, December 08, 2005

 

Why I don't blog often

But, my child, be warned: There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting! Ecclesiastes 12:12 (NLT)
I'm going to attempt to explain why I'm not a regular blogger. The above verse strongly resonates with me.

I have tendency, that if left unchecked, I will try to read too many blog or collect too many magazines or books to read. It's too easy to look at something and say to myself that I should read or subscribe to it. I'm a packrat of reading materials, if you will. And it isn't so much of having things (books, blogs, magazines) to read, its having them go unread. It stresses me out.

Kinda related to that thought, is the one of how much of it is worth reading? Even in a "good" subject, such as Christianity, does reading EVERY book about it make me a better person? And even if that book is good, does it really help me, or is it just another item to fill up my life and time with? Like we all need a couple more of those. The ESV and NASB translations hint at this.

My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Ecclesiastes 12:12 (ESV)
But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body. Ecclesiastes 12:12 (NASB)

Also, part of this thought process stems from a post by Chris. And from his list, I try to fit number 2. Otherwise all I'd do is complain about school.

Plus, I suck at writing. I mean would a real writer use the word "suck" when "I lack the proper written communication skills to effectively convey my thought process through a textual medium" says the same thing?

Thoughts?

Comments:
I hear where you are coming from man and I'm beginning to feel the same way. People everywhere throughout history have had their opinions but they've lacked a real tangible way to express them in the broad public sense. Writing editorials used to be a job for actual journalists and linguistic majors. Now any moron can set up "www.toddmonster.blogspot.com" and rail away on all matter of stupid things and we in the global village have to sift through it. (Whereas before we'd simply write angry letters to the Star Tribune's editorial department).

I may, like Ben, take a week or so off from blogging.

Over time blogging can become a sort of unncessary obligation, I say unnecessary because even though you know not many people read your blog you still feel obligated to post something and preserve the facace that you are smarter and more well-versed than you really are.

I think this comment probably proves that more than anything. Oh well! There is no balm in Gilead!
 
i love toddmonster's blog, it's so rad!

I for one am the same way in collecting too many reading materials... I have so many things I want to read that go unread... well at least I have till tomorrow.

I'm having a blog complex, I sometimes write about things I want to express to the world, other times I write to a specific audience... I haven't totally decided why I blog, but I do know that If you want a lot of people to read your blog you need to update often, so since I wouldn't mind some of my thoughts on certain subjects be heard by some random in Kentucky, I try to blog at least a few times a week, plus I think it's a good way to practice expressing at least something, otherwise I just go on and let things feed me, then I get full, then i need to throw up, then i become bulimic, and that's just wrong...

ok i'm done
 
Ben: is this the toddmonster you were refering to?
 
Are you from Tallassee Alabama?
 
Nope. Too small.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?